My Story: Andrea Sapp

Free Postpartum Guide!


Get my free guide with tips to make your postpartum time smooth and easy!

Don't worry. Your email is safe with me. Powered by ConvertKit

My name is Andrea. I had my daughter Feb of 2007 - a normal and healthy pregnancy. I was very happy I was going to be a mom to a baby girl and went to all my doctors appointments - no concerns. However, I went to my last appointment and he said, "Let's schedule for you to be induced." I was very excited to be having my little girl and went to the hospital to be induced at 7:00am. 

I was scared, but was also ready - everything was going to plan - I was dilating and at 12:30 am was ready to push. I push and push and was crying because it hurt so bad. I asked the nurses to call my doctor - I wanted him to come check me. He came in chewing gum and was like, "Keep can do this" and I was like, "I can't - there is something wrong." He said everything was normal so I push and push and still nothing. After 6 hours of pushing they said "Baby is stuck", rush to the phone, called the doctor.

He came in and said, "Oh yea we have to do an emergency c-section". Now it is 7:20am - 24 hours after the induction started. I screamed so loud, cussed out everyone and said, "You guys said this is normal - I'm in pain and crying my heart out!" 

They doped me up so bad I didn't even get to meet my daughter right away. I woke up and there was my baby girl. I was excited, but I was so sleepy. Everything was fine while I was at the hospital.

I was released from the hospital 3 days later. After a few days of being home something wasn't right - I was not eating or sleeping and felt I didn't want to be a mom.  I went to a family member's house and I was rushed to the hospital. I needed help and knew something wasn't right. I was told I had postpartum (psychosis). I was put on meds and after being locked up in a psychological hospital for 7 days I was released.

I was good for 3 months and then took a turn for the worse. I was trying to hurt myself and taken right back in. Still I was told I had servere postpartum (psychosis), so at that time I was held for 2 weeks and then sent home. But not to my home - I was kicked out of where I was staying and had to go back to my dad's for 2 months.

I was doing good - I got a place in August of 2007 and thought things were looking up. In September of 2007 I was be cheated on by my daughter's dad. I was hurt and confused. He didn't want me and I beat him up and was sent to jail because I said I was not going to the hospital. He did this - he hurt me. I couldn't trust  anyone and felt alone. I wanted my family.

A few months later on my daughter's first birthday I was taken in and told I was bipolar on top of depression. I got a call from CPS in the hospital - they were taking my daughter from me even though I got help. I didn't understand anything.

I was released and my family was told, "Don't leave her alone".

Years later and I haven't gotten her back. She is 8.  I recently had a baby boy and was allowed to keep him because I gave my family guardianship of her. I had an open case, but was allowed to keep my son, who was born February 2015. He is now a healthy 7 month old.

I guess what I am trying to say is it doesn't happen in every pregnancy. Stay strong, make sure you get the help and support you need. I am still with the dad and worked everything out - we even got married. Please, if you feel these things, get help. Everyone should hear these stories. Thank you for reading mine. 

Andrea Sapp | Michigan | Mama to Haylie, 8 and Mason, 7 months