My Story: Nicole Coovert

Free Postpartum Guide!


Get my free guide with tips to make your postpartum time smooth and easy!

Don't worry. Your email is safe with me. Powered by ConvertKit

I found out I was expecting my third child and what a surprise that was! I already had an 11 year old boy and a 6 year girl. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe my feelings! After a few weeks the thought of a third child was welcoming. I was excited and extremely nervous! I had been through a miscarriage and the fear of losing this baby haunted me!

Days came and went, months came and went.

My first two successful pregnancies were a breeze! My oldest was born in 10 hours start to finish with an epidural. My middle was born in 45 minutes the day we got hit with Hurricane Ike. No drugs, but boy I was begging for them! She came too fast.

February 14, 2015 (26 weeks pregnant) I was home alone doing some tiding up outside when I felt what felt like a UTI. So I called my Ob/Gyn and she called in some meds for me. 2 hours later I'm at the pharmacy waiting for my meds and extreme pain begins to set in. Horrible back pain. I called my Ob/Gyn back and she advised me to go to the hospital. So off I went, the hospital was expecting me and got me right into a room.

They took a urine sample and started an IV for fluids. By that time hubby and the two kiddos had made their way to the hospital. I was scared, I was nervous, I had no idea what was going on. They kept me over night for further testing. The next morning a urologist came in and told me my kidney had burst due to what he thought was kidney stones. Being pregnant unfortunately I couldn't have an MRI done to confirm it was in fact stones. But he knew for sure my kidney was blocked and was leaking fluid. I burst into tears, called my husband so we could weigh out the options. I spoke with my Ob/Gyn as well for her advice. Everyone recommended a stent. I was not excited about a stent but didn't have any other options. So into the OR I went. Scared out of my mind. I was 7 months pregnant I can't go into surgery, I remember thinking to myself.

My mom and mother in law both rushed into town to help us and just to be there for us. I came out of surgery, spent a few days in the hospital and was sent home to wait it out. 4 weeks to the "T" I experienced the same excruciating pain as before. Hubby rushed me into labor and delivery. Spent the night same tests were done as before. urologist came in the next morning, my stent was blocked. I thought to myself are you freaking kidding me!!! My urologist and Ob/Gyn both had explained to me stents normally last 6-8 weeks. I made it 4. So back into the OR I went, for surgery #2 to replace the stent. Spend a few days and sent home. Now for anyone who has ever had a stent you know the horrible constant pain it causes. And, every time baby kicked my right side she would kick the stent. Talk about pain!

My Ob/Gyn had prescribed me Tylenol #3. In the beginning I refused to take it, in fear my baby would be born addicted. After a few visits to the doctor, she convinced me I was doing more harm (raising blood pressure and heart rate) by not taking it. The chances of a baby becoming addicted off of a mother who took 1 pain pill a day was slim to none. That stent lasted 2 weeks, before it became clogged. Back in L&D I was. This time my OB and urologist decided a stent wasn't going to work so they decided to do a nephrostomy tube.

Back into the OR surgery #3.

Came out of that surgery and later that evening went back into the OR to remove the stent. The nephrostomy tube was annoying to say the least. It was a tube coming out of my back that went straight into my kidney. Attached to a bag that was draining my kidney. I had to empty the bag numerous times a day. My husband had to flush the tube, had to cover it for me to shower and changed the dressing every day. Days come and went, I managed some how to get by.

I don't know how but I did.

At 33 weeks my doctor decided to give me steroids in case something happened and baby had to be born early. 35 weeks pregnant and I felt the same pain, went into L&D. This time I had passed a stone. OB said enough is enough. That following Monday they scheduled me for an amniocentesis to check the development of babies lungs. Monday morning I went in had the test and 12 hours later found out this journey was about to come to an end. The inducement process began.

The next morning doctor came in to check my progress, only to feel a foot. A FOOT, are you kidding me!!! She flipped in the evening and was now breech. Doctor and I looked at each other and almost at the same time said, "Well did we really expect the delivery to be a smooth one...."

So back into the OR surgery #5!

9:18 am, our peanut blessed this world at 5.11 lbs. She was doing wonderfully as was I! 4 days later baby and I came home (nephrostomy tube and all). I went down hill FAST!!! Anxiety, depression, blues, crying you name it, it hit me and it hit me HARD!

Every night I would cry and cry and cry. I HATED my body! I wanted to get outside and run, starve myself, whatever it took. I ate because I knew I needed to eat to be able to produce milk for peanut, but I would give food the evil eye as I would eat it.

After about 2 weeks of this, I walked into my ob's office and said "I can't deal with this any longer" and my doctor saw me right away. We talked and decided I needed to go back on medicine. (I've been on them before) Reluctant as I was I abided.

Now 5 months later, I still have MAJOR body image issues, but I'm working on them. My anxiety and depression are controlled. Oh, and my kidney.... well come to find out it was my uterus the ENTIRE time. The way my uterus grew it kinked off my ureter, blocking my kidney. Needless to say 3 kiddos and I am done!!! Every tear shed, every ounce of unimaginable pain was totally worth it, as I sit here with my baby girl in my arms!

My Story: Nicole Coovert | Postpartum Confession

Nicole Coovert | Kingwood, TX | Mama to Tyler, 11 Makayla 7, Arianna 5 months